Charge RN - Med Surg
Company: Fresenius Medical Care
Posted on: January 19, 2023
Charge RNJob Description Brownsville, Texas Job ID R0055204
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
Functions as the hemodialysis team leader in the provision of
chronic hemodialysis care and treatment. Provides day to day
direction and supervision to assigned direct patient care staff.
Communicates with the physician and other members of the healthcare
team to interpret, adjust, and complete patient care plans.
Provides safe, effective delivery of patient care in compliance
with standards outlined in the facility procedure manual, as well
as regulations set forth by the company, state, and federal
agencies. Supports FMCNA's mission, vision, core values and
customer service philosophy. Adheres to the FMCNA Compliance
Program, including following all regulatory and FMS policy
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
General and Staff Related:
* Provide day to day guidance, support and direction to direct
patient care staff, providing informal feedback on an ongoing basis
and formal feedback input for the annual performance evaluation.
Participate in the department staffing and the appropriate hiring,
firing and disciplinary actions. Recommend disciplinary action to
Clinical Manager and initiate as appropriate.
* Ensure compliance with all company and facility approved
procedures and policies as well as regulations set forth by state
and federal agencies in clinics with more than 100 patients.
* Approve or disapprove time or personnel schedule changes in the
absence on the Clinical Manager ensuring compliance with applicable
regulations, policies and procedures for documenting time of work
hours for staff members on assigned shift.
* Participate in patient care plan meetings.
* Maintain knowledge in the current practices related to the
principles and techniques of dialysis by participating in all
* Train and orient staff as necessary.
* Routinely observe and guide direct patient care staff for
appropriate technique and adherence to facility policies and
* Promote and assist with compliance to OSHA programs in order to
maintain a safe and clean working environment.
* Maintain overall shift operation in a safe, efficient, and
* With Clinical Manager conduct staff meetings at least monthly or
as needed to keep patient care staff informed of changes in patient
care needs or operations to improve delivery of care.
* Meet routinely with the Clinical Manager to discuss personnel and
patient care status, issues, and information.
* Supervise all documentation of patient information.
* Coordinate Charge Nurse duties with Staff RNs acting in the
relief charge capacity.
* Assess daily patient care needs and develop and distribute
patient care assignments appropriately.
* Assume primary responsibility in an emergency situation.
* Assess patient needs, respond to dialysis treatments, and
communicate concerns to rounding physician. Implement changes in
patient care/treatment as directed.
* Monitor and supervise all patient care activity during dialysis
and assist as necessary.
* Collaborate with direct patient care team in making decisions to
benefit patient care.
* Continuously monitor patient's condition with regards to problems
and potential complications associated with dialysis.
* Administer medications to patients per physician's orders.
* Act as the subject matter expert and as a resource for staff
* Supervise and participate in completion of short- and long-term
* Admit new patients according to facility procedure.
* Ensure educational needs of patients are met and educate the
patient and family about End Stage Renal Disease, dialysis therapy,
diet and medication.
* Supervise the safe and effective use of all equipment involved in
direct patient care.
* Operate all dialysis related and emergency equipment safely and
efficiently when needed.
* Perform required testing and verification and initial the
checklist for start-up and shut-down procedures as outlined in the
Technical Services Manual.
* Complete Nurse's Technical Training Program/Water Quality
* Assist with special projects or other duties as assigned by the
* Assist with the interviewing of potential direct patient care
staff as requested.
* Promote efficient use of medical supplies.
* Attend and participate in monthly Quality Assurance meetings.
* Other duties as assigned.
* Internal Contacts: Direct Patient Care Staff, Facility support
staff, management teams (Clinical Manager, Area Manager, RVP)
* External Contacts: Physicians, Back-up Hospitals
Additional responsibilities may include focus on one or more
departments or locations. See applicable addendum for department or
location specific functions.
The duties listed in this job description are intended only as
illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed.
The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them
from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical
assignment to the position.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
* The physical demands and work environment characteristics
described here are representative of those an employee encounters
while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions.
* Employees are required to take the Ishihara's Color Blindness
test as a condition of employment. Note that: Failing the Ishihara
Test for Color Blindness does not preclude employment. The Company
will consider whether reasonable accommodations can be made.
* Day to day work includes desk and personal computer work and
interaction with patients, facility staff and physicians.
* The position requires travel between assigned facilities and
various locations within the community. Travel to regional,
Business Unit and Corporate meetings may be required.
* The work environment is characteristic of a health care facility
with air temperature control and moderate noise levels. May be
exposed to infectious and contagious diseases/materials.
* Direct Patient Care Staff, Ward Clerk as assigned.
* Graduate of an accredited school of Nursing (R.N.)
* Current appropriate state licensure.
EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED SKILLS:
* Minimum of 9 months of nursing experience and an additional 3
months of clinical experience in dialysis
* RN charge nurses assuming responsibility for nursing and patient
servicesin the absence of the Clinical Managermust have
one-yearclinical experience and six months dialysis experience.
* Supervisory or management experience preferred.
* Successfully completea training course in the theory and practice
* Good communication skills - verbal and written.
* Must meet appropriate state requirements (if any).
EO/AA Employer: Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability/Sexual
Fresenius Medical Care North America maintains a drug-free
workplace in accordance with applicable federal and state laws.
Keywords: Fresenius Medical Care, Brownsville , Charge RN - Med Surg, Healthcare , Brownsville, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!