THE OPPORTUNITY : The City of Brownsville is in a transformative
period driven by significant public and private investments such as
the expansion of the Brownsville-South Padre Island International
Airport Passenger Terminal, creation of a New Space City, the Port
of Brownsville, Downtown Revitalization, and quality of life
The ideal candidate for Engineering Inspector I aspires to be a
model of innovation , inclusion, and empowerment who enables bold
people and ideas to thrive. The Engineering Inspector I will be a
participatory leader : a results-oriented, relationship-building,
self-aware team player who also possesses high integrity and
politeness, and who fosters trust by building relationships with
tolerance, patience, and support to provide the best value in
service of the citizens of Brownsville .
The Engineering Inspector I is responsible for providing plan
review and construction quality assurance through physical
inspection of construction site and project coordination, as well
as, site development inspections for compliance. These duties are
performed for public street construction and reconstruction,
earthwork, and construction development projects. Employee works
independently in the field and is responsible for decision making
requiring technical discretion, sound judgement, and familiarity
with a variety of codes, ordinances, and construction methods or
problems. The employee works according to set procedures under
direct supervision and strictly adheres to all applicable state and
local laws, regulations, safety rules, departmental policies, and
- Provides information to contractors, owners or other customers
regarding the Construction Code and other regulatory requirements
- Monitors and assigned geographical area to identify street and
drainage construction being performed without prior City
- Investigates alleged violations of the Construction Code and
- Approves alternate methods or materials for code compliance
within the scope of authority delegated by the City Engineer.
- Coordinates the Construction of City projects with utilities,
City departments, Contractors and sub-contractors.
- Respond to Citizen complaints and request for information
regarding construction projects.
- Performs inspections in accordance with approved construction
plans and review.
- Computes monthly estimates of work and recommends payments to
- Inspects the full range of public works construction projects,
which includes streets, alleys, irrigation facilities, storm drains
and permit construction in the City right-of-way for compliance
with standard details, specifications and approved plans.
- Inspects materials, grades, and other work compliance with
- Must be able to read, interpret and follow work orders and
procedures as necessary.
- Possesses the ability to manage time efficiently to accomplish
goals and tasks.
- Must be customer service oriented, have a customer friendly
attitude and professional appearance at all times.
- Must maintain professionalism and technical knowledge.
- Must be able to work effectively under pressure and stringent
schedules and produce accurate and satisfactory results.
- Must be capable of working with Management, internal
department, other departments and staff to maintain positive image
of the division and services.
- Must be able to effectively respond to questions from
Management, groups of managers, customers, and the public .
- Must be able to communicate effectively at all levels, both
orally and in writing.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS & JOB SPECIFICATIONS:
- Safely operates tools and equipment in all types of weather, or
conditions.The job may include morning, evening, weekend, holiday,
split, or other work schedules.
- Complies with all State and local laws; Departmental policies,
safety rules, and procedures.
- Reports hazardous and dangerous conditions in and around the
facility, including incidents/accidents immediately.
- Communicates professionally and responsibly.
- Is able to work in groups, and is a good team player.
- Engineering terminology.
- Mathematical principles required to perform related technical
- The principles and techniques of civil engineering including
materials, testing, surveying and plan review.
- Performs other related work as required.
- Requires High School diploma or GED
- An Associate Degree in Engineering is preferred.
- Requires a minimum of 2 years of work related experience.
SPECIAL CERTIFICATION AND LICENSES:
- Job requires a current, valid Texas Class C drivers license, or
possess the ability to obtain a TXDL as required by State Law ( no
later than 30 days from job offer and acceptance ).
- Ability to pass a personal, criminal and employment background
Ability to exert up to 35-50 lbs. of force occasionally or a
negligible amount of energy frequently to lift, push, pull or
otherwise move objects.
Performs medium work that involves walking, standing, stooping,
jumping, stretching, or lifting all of the time and also involves
exerting between 20 and 50 pounds of force on a regular and
recurring basis or exceptional skill, adeptness and speed in the
use of the fingers, hands, or limbs in tasks involving close
tolerances or limits of accuracy. Work is primarily performed
outside with exposure to dangerous tools, equipment, machinery,
inclement weather conductions, noise and fumes. This position is
subjected to emergency call back if required.
The City of Brownsville requires all employees to successfully
pass a Drug & Alcohol examination and a Background Check.
The City of Brownsville is an Equal Opportunity Employer. ADA
requires the City to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified
individuals with disabilities. Prospective and current employees
are invited to discuss accommodations.
The City of Brownsville participates in a generous retirement
plan with retirement opportunities available at 5 or 20 years of
continuous service. The City has an exceptional employee and family
medical and dental insurance plan. Employees may also contribute to
deferred compensation plans from Nationwide or VALIC or
supplemental insurance plans from AFLAC and Colonial Life. Full
time employees have the opportunity to accumulate 10 sick days and
10 annual days per year. Additionally, the City of Brownsville
observes 12 holidays annually.
The City of Brownsville does not discriminate on the basis of
race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender
identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual
orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age,
membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental
status, military service, or other non-merit factors.
Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to
assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any
time to develop our employees. This description reflects
management's assignment of essential functions; it does not
prohibit or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. This job
description is subject to change at any time.