THE OPPORTUNITY: The City of Brownsville is in a transformative
period driven by significant public and private investments such as
the expansion of the Brownsville-South Padre Island International
Airport Passenger Terminal, creation of a New Space City, the Port
of Brownsville, Downtown Revitalization, and quality of life
The ideal candidate for Equipment Operator I aspires to be a
model of innovation, inclusion, and empowerment who enables bold
people and ideas to thrive. The Maintenance Worker I will be a
participatory leader: a results-oriented, relationship-building,
self-aware team player who also possesses high integrity and
politeness, and who fosters trust by building relationships with
tolerance, patience, and support to provide the best value in
service of the citizens of Brownsville.
The Equipment Operator I is responsible for operating equipment
necessary in the maintenance repair and upkeep of streets and
roadways, right of way, grounds, repairing cave-ins, drains and
other related maintenance tasks. Operates specialized equipment,
machinery or vehicles such as heavy construction vehicles, trucks
with hydraulic pumping equipment, pressure sprayers, paving
equipment, jackhammers, backhoes or cranes and other related tasks
as necessary. The employee works according to set procedures under
direct supervision and strictly adheres to all applicable state and
local laws, regulations, safety rules, departmental policies, and
- Safety Acumen
- Customer Service
- Critical Thinking
- Must be able to read, interpret and follow work orders and
procedures as necessary.
- Possesses the ability to manage time efficiently to accomplish
goals and tasks.
- Must be customer service oriented, have a customer friendly
attitude and professional appearance at all times.
- Must maintain professionalism and technical knowledge.
- Must be able to work effectively under pressure and stringent
schedules and produce accurate and satisfactory results.
- Must be capable of working with Management, internal
department, other departments and staff to maintain positive image
of the division and services.
- Must be able to effectively respond to questions from
Management, groups of managers, customers, and the public.
- Must be able to communicate effectively at all levels, both
orally and in writing.
- Must have a genuine interest in training and leadership of team
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS & JOB SPECIFICATIONS:
The tasks listed below are those that represent the majority of
the time spent working in this class. Management may assign
additional task related to the type of work of the position as
- Safely operates tools and equipment in all types of weather, or
- Operates light equipment and tools, such as blowers, edging
tools, sprayers, shovels, rakes and brooms.
- Maintains facilities, tools and equipment in a clean and neat
- Installation of road construction materials on construction
- Performs reports and completes routine forms for material
- Maintains streets and roadways free of trash, debris, and FOD
(foreign object damage)
- Complies with all State and local laws; Departmental policies,
safety rules, and procedures.
- Reports hazardous and dangerous conditions in and around roads,
facilities, including incidents/accidents immediately.
- Operates heavy machinery or heavy construction vehicles, trucks
with hydraulic pumping equipment, pressure sprayers, paving
equipment, backhoes, or cranes
- Operates hand and power tools such as trimmers, vacuum
sweepers, outdoor hand held power equipment and mowers.
- Performs preventative maintenance on all equipment and
- Follows established safety rules and regulations for the safe
operation of equipment and machinery, reports accidents, equipment
breakage and unsafe conditions to a Supervisor.
- Performs other related work as required.
- Requires High School diploma, GED or vocational training
- Requires a minimum of 6 months of work related experience.
SPECIAL CERTIFICATION AND LICENSES:
- Job requires a current, valid Texas Class B driver's license,
as required by State Law
- Ability to pass a personal, criminal and employment background
Ability to exert up to 35-50 lbs. of force occasionally or a
negligible amount of energy frequently to lift, push, pull or
otherwise move objects. Performs work that involves walking,
standing, stooping, jumping, stretching, or lifting all of the time
and also involves exerting between 20 and 50 pounds of force on a
regular and recurring basis or exceptional skill, adeptness and
speed in the use of the fingers, hands, or limbs in tasks involving
close tolerances or limits of accuracy. Work is primarily performed
outside with exposure to dangerous tools, equipment, machinery,
inclement weather conductions, noise and fumes. This position is
subjected to emergency call back if required.
The City of Brownsville requires all employees to successfully
pass a Drug & Alcohol examination and a Background Check.
The City of Brownsville is an Equal Opportunity Employer. ADA
requires the City to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified
individuals with disabilities. Prospective and current employees
are invited to discuss accommodations.
The City of Brownsville participates in a generous retirement
plan with retirement opportunities available at 5 or 20 years of
continuous service. The City has an exceptional employee and family
medical and dental insurance plan. Employees may also contribute to
deferred compensation plans from Nationwide or VALIC or
supplemental insurance plans from AFLAC and Colonial Life. Full
time employees have the opportunity to accumulate 10 sick days and
10 annual days per year. Additionally, the City of Brownsville
observes 12 holidays annually.
The City of Brownsville does not discriminate on the basis of
race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender
identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual
orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age,
membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental
status, military service, or other non-merit factors.
Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to
assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any
time to develop our employees. This description reflects
management's assignment of essential functions; it does not
prohibit or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. This job
description is subject to change at any time.