Animal Care Technician I
Company: City of Brownsville
Posted on: June 9, 2021
THE OPPORTUNITY: The City of Brownsville is in a transformative
period driven by significant public and private investments such as
the expansion of the Brownsville-South Padre Island Airport
Terminal, Space X, the Port of Brownsville, Downtown
Revitalization, and quality of life enhancements.
Our ideal candidate for Animal Care Technician l aspires to be a
model of innovation, inclusion and empowerment who enables bold
people and ideas to thrive. The Animal Care Technician l will be a
participatory leader: a results-oriented, relationship-building,
self-aware team player who also possesses high integrity,
politeness, and fostering trust by building relationships with
tolerance, patience and support in order to provide the best value
in service of the citizens of Brownsville.
The purpose of the class is to perform the tasks of caring for
impounded animals and maintaining the City Animal Shelter.
- Effective Communications Skills
- Animal Care and Nutrition
- Animal Handling and Restraint Skills
- Animal Behavior
- Requires copying, transcribing, entering, or posting data
- Requires serving others such as customers; attends to their
request and exchanging information with them.
- Requires handling or using machines, tools, or equipment such
as computers for data entry, catch poles, syringes for injections,
DEA regulated drugs, and others as needed.
- Requires performing semi-routine work with occasional
- Requires performing mathematical formulas used to mix chemicals
such as cleansers, disinfectants, and DEA regulated drugs.
- Requires reading basic sentences, instructions, or work orders;
writing simple sentences and completing uncomplicated job forms;
speaking sentences using basic grammar.
- Requires clerical or manual tasks prescribed by standard
practices, but which may require computation, several procedures,
and independent judgment with obvious choices; require normal
attention for accurate results.
- Requires being responsible for guiding others, requires a few
decisions affecting a few co-workers; works in a stable environment
with clear and uncomplicated written/ oral instructions, but with
some variation from the routine.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS & JOB SPECIFICATIONS:
- Communicates with the public in a positive manner.
- Performs routine work of sheltering and caring for impounded
animals, and completes all the necessary paperwork.
- Cleans and disinfects inside and outside of all kennels, and is
responsible for the general cleaning building and premises.
- Performs routine spot cleaning building and premises.
- Feeds and waters all animals daily.
- Inspects animals on a routine basis, gives shots, bathes, dips
and cares for animals to include daily walking.
- Assists in euthanasia of animals as necessary.
- Performs related tasks as assigned.
- Requires high school diploma, or GED.
- Valid Texas Drivers License.
- Must obtain before the end of probationary period: Animal Care
Training Certificate, Animal Control Certification, and Animal
Euthanasia Technician Certification.
- Requires minimum three months of work related experience.
- Requires medium work that involves walking, standing, stooping,
or lifting all of the time, exerting between 20 and 50 pounds of
force on a recurring basis, exceptional skill, adeptness, and speed
in the use of fingers, hands and limbs in tasks involving very
close tolerances or limits of accuracy.
The City of Brownsville is an Equal Opportunity Employer. ADA
requires the City to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified
individuals with disabilities. Prospective and current employees
are invited to discuss accommodations.
The City of Brownsville participates in a generous retirement
plan with retirement opportunities available at 5 or 20 years of
continuous service. The City has an exceptional employee and family
medical and dental insurance plan. Employees may also contribute to
deferred compensation plans from AXA Equitable or supplemental
insurance plans from AFLAC and Colonial Life. Full time employees
have the opportunity to accumulate 10 sick days and 10 annual days
per year. Additionally, the City of Brownsville observes 12
The City of Brownsville does not discriminate on the basis of
race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender
identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual
orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age,
membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental
status, military service, or other non-merit factors.
Nothing in this job description restricts organization's right
to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at
any time in order to develop our employees; This description
reflects management's assignment of essential functions, it does
not prohibit or restrict the tasks that may be assigned; this job
description is subject to change at any time.
Keywords: City of Brownsville, Brownsville , Animal Care Technician I, Other , Brownsville, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!