Accounting Specialist II
Company: Port of Brownsville
Posted on: June 12, 2021
Job Summary This is skilled work in the operation of wastewater
treatment plant equipment and facilities. An employee in this class
is responsible for the operation of pumps and other equipment,
taking samples of wastewater flow, reading plant meters, and
maintaining the buildings and ground of wastewater treatment
plants. Work is performed in accordance with established policies
and procedures under the direct supervision of a senior operator.
Work is reviewed through inspection and by observing the
effectiveness of plant operation through the analysis of shift
reports and chemical laboratory tests. Job Responsibilities
- Attends training courses and engages in independent study of
wastewater plant operations; takes readings and performs a variety
of tests on raw and partially treated sewage and final treated
effluent; pumps sludge at prescribed levels; checks digester.
- Makes operational checks on equipment at the wastewater plant
and lift stations; checks and adjusts float controls, starter
switches, pumps and motors; keeps all equipment clean, lubricated
and painted; removes grease deposits, debris and sand from wet
wells; drains and cleans equipment; changes chlorine cylinders as
needed and checks supply.
- Takes samples of wastewater flow and assists in their
- Takes samples of potable water for coliform and other
- Keeps records and makes shift reports.
- Performs related work as required.
- May be required to perform shift work as needed
- High school graduate or GED or any equivalent combination of
education and experience.
- Possession of a class "C" or higher wastewater certificate as
issued by the State of Texas.
- Possession of a class "C" or higher surface water certificate
issued by the State of Texas.
- Some knowledge of the functions and servicing of mechanical
equipment and machinery.
- Must know the process involved in the treatment of raw sewage,
including some chemical tests.
- Ability to inspect machinery and mechanical equipment and to
detect flaws and defects in operations.
- Ability to read meters and charts accurately and to maintain
records of shift operations.
- Ability to understand and follow both written and oral
- Valid Texas Motor Vehicle Operator's License.
- Must possess, or be able to obtain, a valid Transportation
Worker Identification Credential (TWIC).
- Selected candidate must pass a pre-employment drug screening
and background investigation to be hired for this position.
- Bilingual (English / Spanish).
Work Conditions & Physical Demands The work environment
characteristics described here are representative of those an
employee encounters while performing the essential functions of
- Frequent exposure to outside weather conditions such as heat,
cold, dust, and vehicle exhaust.
- Medium physical effort including long periods of standing, up
to 8 continuous hours and occasional lifting of objects up to 50
- Withstand prolonged periods of standing, walking, and/or
- Frequent climbing and descending of stairs.
The above duties may not be performed in every position with
this title and the above functions may not include all related
duties that might be performed.
The Port of Brownsville is an equal opportunity, affirmative
action organization. The Port of Brownsville prohibits
discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, creed,
gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual
orientation, or any other legally protected status.
Keywords: Port of Brownsville, Brownsville , Accounting Specialist II, Other , Brownsville, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!