Company: City of Brownsville
Posted on: June 21, 2022
THE OPPORTUNITY: The City of Brownsville is in a transformative
period driven by significant public and private investments such as
the expansion of the Brownsville-South Padre Island Airport
Terminal, Space X, the Port of Brownsville, Downtown
Revitalization, and quality of life enhancements.
Ideal candidate for Fiscal Clerk aspires to be a model of
innovation, inclusion and empowerment who enables bold people and
ideas to thrive. The Fiscal Clerk will be a participatory leader: a
results-oriented, relationship-building, self-aware team player who
also possesses high integrity and politeness, and who foster trust
by building relationships with tolerance, patience and support in
order to provide the best value in service of the citizens of
The Fiscal Clerk is responsible for monitoring accounts receivables
aging, collections and posting of payments. The Fiscal Clerk will
have a thorough understanding of Explanation of Benefits (EOBs) and
processing of payments from insurance carriers. The Fiscal Clerk
works according to set procedures under direct supervision.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS & JOB SPECIFICATIONS:
* Performs an evaluation of patient accounts for accuracy of
information which includes, patient demographics, complete and
accurate insurance information, appropriate authorizations
obtained, appropriate ICD-9, CPT and HCPCS coding, and accurate
* Assigns correct levels of service and coding of claims according
to governmental regulations.
* Responsible for identifying and documenting insurance payer
issues as they arise. Must communicate all issues to teammates and
Supervisor. Responsible for maintaining a file containing all
pertinent information for each issue to include correspondence,
EOBs, claims, collections etc.
* Must be an effective team member with good communication skills.
Must participate in team meetings, communicate work related ideas
and concerns proactively, and assist in finding appropriate
* Responsible for contacting insurance companies regarding
* Responsible for providing any information (medical records,
itemized statements, etc.) requested by insurance companies to
process claims. Must maintain a system to ensure timely follow up
is completed for each outstanding claim.
* Refer accounts, in accordance with established guidelines, for
write-off, agency, or attorney referral.
* Cross train in the various Ambulance Billing areas to be
completely familiar with all aspects of patient accounting
* Must have basic medical terminology knowledge.
* Maintain status reports consisting of outstanding accounts
* Responsible for contacting insurance companies, patients,
employers, etc. to resolve payment issues that require their
* Documents accounts in accordance with established department
* Follows established billing/coding guidelines to flag accounts
for follow-up as needed.
* Performs copying, transcribing, entering or posting data of
* Responsible for serving others such as customers; attends to
their requests and exchanging information with them.
* Must handle or use machines or equipment that requires moderate
instruction and experience such as computers, peripherals, software
programs such as work processing, spreadsheets, or custom
applications, or switchboards.
* Performs addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division; may
calculate ratios, rates and percentages.
* Performs any other duties assigned.
* Requires high school diploma or GED. One year of college
education or specialized advanced training in medical billing, or a
closely related field, preferred.
* Valid Texas Driver's License.
* Bilingual (English and Spanish), requires reading basic
sentences, instructions, or work orders; writing simple sentences
and completing uncomplicated job forms; speaking sentences using
* Requires minimum one year of work related experience.
SPECIAL CERTIFICATIONS AND LICENSES:
* Requires a valid Texas Driver's License.
* Medical Billing Specialist Certification
Performs medium to heavy work that involves walking or standing,
lifting and pushing, exerting between 10 and 20 pounds of force on
a recurring basis, or skill, adeptness and speed in the use of
fingers, hands or limbs on repetitive operation electronic office
machines or tools within moderate tolerances or limits of
The City of Brownsville is an Equal Opportunity Employer. ADA
requires the City to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified
individuals with disabilities. Prospective and current employees
are invited to discuss accommodations.
The City of Brownsville participates in a generous retirement plan
with retirement opportunities available at 5 or 20 years of
continuous service. The City has an exceptional employee and family
medical and dental insurance plan. Employees may also contribute to
deferred compensation plans from Equitable or supplemental
insurance plans from AFLAC and Colonial Life. Full time employees
have the opportunity to accumulate 10 sick days and 10 annual days
per year. Additionally, the City of Brownsville observes 12
The City of Brownsville does not discriminate on the basis of race,
color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity),
national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital
status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an
employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military
service, or other non-merit factors.
Nothing in this job description restricts organization's right to
assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any
time in order to develop our employees; This description reflects
management's assignment of essential functions, it does not
prohibit or restrict the tasks that may be assigned; this job
description is subject to change at any time.
Keywords: City of Brownsville, Brownsville , Fiscal Clerk, Other , Brownsville, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!