SELECTION COMMUNICATION VIA EMAIL
If selected for an interview you will receive an invitation to
the email provided on your application. It is your responsibility
to update us if email changes.
THE OPPORTUNITY: The City of Brownsville is in a transformative
period driven by significant public and private investments such as
the expansion of the Brownsville-South Padre Island International
Airport Passenger Terminal, creation of a New Space City, the Port
of Brownsville, Downtown Revitalization, and quality of life
The ideal candidate for Traffic Signal Superintendent aspires to
be a model of innovation, inclusion, and empowerment who enables
bold people and ideas to thrive. The Traffic Signal Superintendent
will be a participatory leader: a results-oriented,
relationship-building, self-aware team player who also possesses
high integrity and politeness, and who fosters trust by building
relationships with tolerance, patience, and support to provide the
best value in service of the citizens of Brownsville.
The purpose of the class is to maintain the working order of
traffic signals in the city, and to assist in approving new street
light requests. The class is responsible for assembling,
installing, repairing and modifying traffic signals, maintaining
signal timing, and researching new signal requests. The class works
within a general outline of work to be performed; develops work
methods and sequences under general supervision.
- Safety Acumen
- Customer Service
- Critical Thinking
- Determines proper and efficient usage of materials, equipment,
and hand and power tools by subordinates in the performance of
- Adheres to and enforces safety practices and procedures in work
areas and in performance of work assignments
- Responsible for the Installations, repairs, and modifications
to the Traffic signals.
- Must be able to read, interpret and follow work orders and
procedures as necessary.
- Possesses the ability to manage time efficiently to accomplish
goals and tasks.
- Must be customer service oriented, have a customer friendly
attitude and professional appearance at all times.
- Plans, schedules, and oversees routine and/or preventative
maintenance of Traffic signals, fixtures, and equipment;
- Oversees installations, modifications, or upgrades as necessary
for the operations of the traffic signals
- Interprets policy and develops procedures for maintenance
activities; monitors and evaluates to ensure compliance.
- Conducts and attends meetings with personnel, management,
vendors, I.M.S.A and general public.
- Must maintain professionalism and technical knowledge.
- Must be able to work effectively under pressure and stringent
schedules and produce accurate and satisfactory results.
- Must be capable of working with Management, internal
department, other departments and staff to maintain positive image
of the division and services.
- Must be able to effectively respond to questions from
Management, groups of managers, customers, and the public.
- Must be able to communicate effectively at all levels, both
orally and in writing.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS & JOB SPECIFICATIONS:
- Drives and operates hydraulic bucket lift trucks.
- Installs, repairs, and modifies traffic signals, flashing
lights, school zone flashing lights, or other traffic
- Provide training to the technicians and supervises the work
schedules and work assignments for the technicians.
- Maintain traffic signal timing records and engineering drawings
for all traffic signals.
- Determines whether new traffic signal requests are
- Assists in determining whether new street light requests are
- Supervises the filing of complete repair reports.
- Performs related tasks as necessary.
- Associate's degree in electrical technology or closely related
Requires minimum five years of work-related experience.
Understanding of Basic Electronics and Electrical, NEMA standards
(TS1 and TS2), Various Traffic Detection Methods (Acoustic,
Microwave, Radar, Loops, etc.) Setup and Configuration, Data
Communications Methods (Copper, Fiber Optic, Wireless, etc.),
Signal Head Types (Incandescent, L.E.D., Programmable, etc.)
specifications and installation methods
SPECIAL CERTIFICATION AND LICENSES:
I.M.S.A (Preferable Traffic Signal Senior Bench Technician Level
III), Valid Texas Driver's License.
Ability to exert up to 35-50 lbs. of force occasionally or a
negligible amount of energy frequently to lift, push, pull or
otherwise move objects. Performs medium work that involves walking,
standing, stooping, jumping, stretching, or lifting all of the time
and also involves exerting between 20 and 50 pounds of force on a
regular and recurring basis or exceptional skill, adeptness and
speed in the use of the fingers, hands, or limbs in tasks involving
close tolerances or limits of accuracy. Work is primarily performed
outside with exposure to dangerous tools, equipment, machinery,
inclement weather conductions, noise and fumes. This position is
subjected to emergency call back if required.
The City of Brownsville requires all employees to successfully
pass a Drug & Alcohol examination and a Background Check.
The City of Brownsville is an Equal Opportunity Employer. ADA
requires the City to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified
individuals with disabilities. Prospective and current employees
are invited to discuss accommodations.
The City of Brownsville participates in a generous retirement
plan with retirement opportunities available at 5 or 20 years of
continuous service. The City has an exceptional employee and family
medical and dental insurance plan. Employees may also contribute to
deferred compensation plans from AXA Equitable or supplemental
insurance plans from AFLAC and Colonial Life. Full time employees
have the opportunity to accumulate 10 sick days and 10 annual days
per year. Additionally, the City of Brownsville observes 12
The City of Brownsville does not discriminate on the basis of
race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender
identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual
orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age,
membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental
status, military service, or other non-merit factors.
Nothing in this job description restricts management's right to
assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any
time to develop our employees. This description reflects
management's assignment of essential functions; it does not
prohibit or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. This job
description is subject to change at any time.